Dr. Robert Thur is a licensed clinical psychologist in private practice for over thirty years. He works with adults, young people and couples. For twenty-five years has been running groups and conducting seminars. His extensive training is both in Western and Eastern modalities.
Licensed California Psychologist (1976)
Licensed North Carolina Psychologist (2005)
Licensed North Carolina Health Services Provider (2005)
Licensed California Marriage, Family and Child counselor (1975)
PhD, California School of Professional Psychology, 1974
M.S. San Francisco State University, 1972
PhD candidate (English Literature) Johns Hopkins University 1970-71
B.A. (honors) New York University (Literature and Mathematics) 1969
- Individual psychotherapy
- Marital therapy: becoming more your own person; minimizing the aggression of divorce
- Support for your caring for parents while raising sometimes-bewildering children
- Mid-life tune-up: creating a future you want
- Help you find joy and discipline in your relation with food
- Loneliness: becoming more intimate with others and a friend with yourself
- Power issues at work; how to clarify what your job is, and is not
- Stress Reduction: yoga, meditation, health, nutrition, exercise support
- Spiritual issues: living a mindful life
- Adoption and infertility issues
- Gay and lesbian issues, individually and in couples
- Enneagram work (A personality typing system that helps to organize inner work.)
Experience and training:
Private practice since 1974.
Psychologist in the California Community Mental Health System.
Psychologist for Kaiser hospital, Vallejo.
Ran groups for talented, alienated teen-agers in local high schools for Project Community, a federally-funded drug and alcohol abuse program.
Consultant for the Bank of America and Wells Fargo bank.
Additional training at the Berkeley Psychotherapy Institute, the Gestalt Institute, and training in both brief therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy.
Was part of the first Tibetan Buddhist program for Western psychologists with Rinpoche Tarthang Tulku and was later involved with Siddha Yoga where he taught meditation.
Taught the Enneagram for Claudio Naranjo at S.A.T. Institute where he studied the Gurdjieff Work.